This FAQ is supposed to address the most common questions patrons have about the library service.

정보활용능력 리더십에 참가하지 않은 친구는 교육에 참가할 수 없나요?

리더십 프로그램을 신청하지 않았더라도, 관심 있는 교육 프로그램에 참가할 수 있습니다.

미리 교육신청을 못한 프로그램도 참가할 수 있나요?

도서관 웹사이트를 통해 참가 신청을 받고 있습니다만, 미리 교육 신청을 못했더라도 당일 교육 프로그램에 참가하여 출석 체크를 했다면 교육 시간을 인정받을 수 있습니다.

참가 신청 링크에서 ‘정보활용능력’ 신청만 하면 끝인가요?

‘정보활용능력 리더십’ 신청을 한 후, 반드시 도서관 웹사이트에서 참가하려는 각각의 교육 프로그램을 신청해 주셔야 합니다.

※ 교육 프로그램 참가신청: Library Website > SERVICES > Library Classes

Where can I find computers in the library? (PC/컴퓨터 이용 안내)

Over 100 computers are available on the library 2nd floor. All computers must be reserved via the Seat Reservation Kiosk. Please see the 'Print, Copy, Scan, Computing' menu for detailed information.

How do I renew the due dates of books online? (반납일 연장)

You can renew the due date on the My Account page after login the library website. Each successful renewal will extend the due date by your normal loan period (e.g 15 days for undergraduate) from the day you renewed the item. Renewal is available within your maximum loan period. (e.g 45 days for undergraduate). You can renew only one time per day. If you have reserved or overdued item(s), you can't request this service.

How can I pick up an Item? (문헌복사/신청자료)


Articles: Most articles can be picked up the DDS desk next to the information desk (3rd floor). ※ We provide the material as printout due to copyright law.

Books: Most books can be picked up at library's information desk (3rd floor).

How can I request at 'Making Requests"? (문헌복사/상호대차 신청 방법)

You can make any requests as borrowing articles and/or books with the same form. But please fill in important information. If your request is book, give me information at least 'Title', 'Author' and 'Publishing Year". Your request is article, give me information at least 'Article Title', 'Author' and 'Volume". 

How much do I pay articles and books at "Borrowing form off-campus"? (상호대차 비용)

Most requests are free to the individual patron as the UNIST library pays the fee. However, please keep in mind that we cannot support over 100$ by one request.

How long does it take for articles and books at "Borrowing form off-campus"? (상호대차 소요일)

We try to fill your request as quickly as possible, but please remember that it takes some time. Requests filled by libraries in Korea usually take 2-3 working days. Materials from foreign libraries may take longer, up to 2-3 weeks or more.

Am I eligible to use the "Borrowing form off-campus" at Making Requests? (상호대차 신청 요건)

All Students, faculties, and staffs who are currently affiliated with UNIST may submit "Making Requests". If you want to know more details or have any questions about those services, please contact the librarian. (☎ 052-217-1408, e-mail: lib-documentservice@unist.ac.kr)

How can I get articles and books which are not in the UNIST Library? (도서관 비소장도서/자료)

If some materials you need are not available in the UNIST library, you can get the materials by using "Making Requests" as like Books or Articles. Please click to check the "Borrowing from off-campus" at Type if your request is to borrow the materials such as books or articles. If your request is to buy, please click to check the "New Purchase" at Type.

Does the library purchase all the requested books? (희망도서 신청)

All the requested books are carefully deliberated on whether they are suitable to the library collection. Academic books related to UNIST research areas and curriculum are our number one priority to collect. Other books can be decided not to collect and the requester will receive notification of the decision.

How long does it take for a new book to arrive? (희망도서 구입 소요일)

1-2 weeks for books published in Korea, 2-4 weeks for books published not in Korea.

How can I borrow accompanying materials(supplements, CD etc)? (딸림자료)

After searching at the library homepage for materials you want to borrow, please visit an information desk on the 3rd floor of library. The staff would find the materials. When you return an item with accompanying materials (CD-ROM, supplement, etc.), you should return them at the information desk on the 3rd floor.

How do I find books in the library shelves? (도서 검색 방법)

You can find the book using a call number.


 1) Checking a call number of the book

 2) Browsing the shelves and looking at the book labels

 3) Picking up the book you want to find



Each of the books is assigned a unique call number based on its subject matter and other characteristics. Items on the same subject will often be grouped together.

Can I request a new eBook purchase? (전자책 구입 신청)

Sure. You are able to request a new eBook at the 'Services > Making Requets' menu, selecting 'New purchase', and checking 'eBook if possible'. You can also send an email to librarian.  

How long does it take for a new eBook to open? (전자책 구입 소요일)

1-2 weeks for Korean eBooks. 2-7 days for English eBooks

I can not find books whose status are 'Available'. Why are they missing? (서가에 없는 도서)

There are several reasons as follows:

• Another user is reading the books in the library.

• The books are returned to the information desk after a loan.

• The books have been put in the wrong shelf.

• Another user has hidden the books on purpose.

• The books are lost or damages.


When you can not find the books you need, you can ask to the librarian.

What can I do if the library does not have the books I need? (희망도서 신청 방법)

There are two ways to get the books not owned by the library: borrwoing books from off-campus or requesting new purchases. You are able to select and request each service at the 'Services > Making Requests' menu.

What does it mean when a book is "not loanable"? (대출불가 도서)

Library materials are classified as "not loanable" for a reason. High-use materials (e.g. Reference and Basic Science Book and Course Reserves) are not loanable to ensure availability to all students. These materials can only be used on the 3rd floor of the library.

What if my book is overdue? (반납 연체)

If you return materials late can't borrow another during suspension period.

Your borrowing privilege will be suspended for the same number of days that the items were late.

※ Suspension period is calculated as follows: If you return 1 book for 3 days late , you can not borrow materials for 3days.

What is a call number? (도서 분류 기호)

Every book in our library has a unique call number, which is kind of like the book's address. It determines the book location on the shelf. 

Books are arranged on our shelves according to a classification system. The UNIST Library uses the Library of Congress Classification(LCC) system when assigning call numbers to books in our collection.

What should I do if I can't find a book? (책을 찾기가 어려울 경우)

If you are unsure of an item's location, please ask a librarian at the information desk for help.

What should I do if I lose or damage materials? (대출자료의 분실 및 훼손 시)

If you lost or damage the library materials, you should reimburse that. 

Lost or damaged materials must be reported to the information desk of library. When it's impossible to reimburse the lost/damage materials with same ones, compensation can be made under the Standard of Compensation for Lost Materials.

If the materials are overdue, you can not borrow materials for overdue days.

Where are materials whose call number start from 'R'? (R 로 시작하는 도서 분류 기호)

Materials whose call cumber start from 'R' are references. Reference shelves are located on the 3rd floor of library. You can not borrow them but you can read in the library.

Where can I get the new book that I requested a new purchase? (신청/희망도서 대출 장소)

Please visit the information desk on the 3rd floor after getting the notification from the library. If you do not visit in 3 days, the books will be moved to the 'New Arrivals' shelves on the 1st floor. 

Why are there no TOEIC or TOFEL books recently published in the library? (TOEIC / TOFEL 관련 도서)

Due to limited budget, the followings are not collected anymore since 2014.

• Books for specific exams or certificates, including TOEIC and TOFEL

• Religious books targeted at the believers of a specific religion

• Children books

• Books for cooking and housework and others which are not neccessary to the research institute.

Can I check the similarity of my works to prevent plagiarism? (표절 방지 소프트웨어)

UNIST members can use plagiarism detection software turn it in or iThenticate. For more information, please refer to ‘Research Supports > Citation Tools’ menu.

How do I download and install the EndNote program? (서지 관리 프로그램)

The reference manager EndNote software is available on the UNIST Portal Internet Disk. For more information about EndNote, please refer to ‘Research Supports > Citation Tools’ menu.

Where are Course Reserves? (강의지정자료 위치)

Course Reserves are materials for lectures. They are separately located in front of information desk of 3rd floor. You can use Course Reserves only for 3 hours.

Can spouse of faculty/staff use the library? (교직원 배우자 도서관 이용증 신청)

Yes, spouse of faculty/staff can use the library. Please request a library membership at the 'Services > Membership for Spouses' menu.

How can I search and use resources in the National Assembly Digital Library? (국회도서관 소장 자료)

Using free resources on the National Assembly Digital Library are available to anyone, anywhere. However some restricted materials are only available to view and print the full-text at the ‘National Assembly Library Search PC’ on the library 2nd floor. This service is available 24 hours and it is required to pay for printing.

I’d like to visit and use materials in other university libraries. How do I visit other libraries? (타 대학 도서관 이용 신청)


To visit other university libraries, UNIST members need to take an official document to the library. To be issued the document, please refer to ‘Services > Visiting Other Libraries’ menu.

How can I print, copy, scan? (프린트, 복사, 스캔)

If you want to print or copy some materials, you can use a commercial printing & copying machine on the 2nd and 3rd floor. It is called 'Net-Print. To use the Net-Print, users should have their Net-Print account and charge money.

Otherwise, scanning is free of charge and you can pay with MYBi card for multi-fuction printers.

If you have any questions about the machine, please call at 052-217-6300 or visit the stationery store in the Student Union Building.

Please see the 'Print, Copy, Scan, Computing' menu for detailed information.

How can I get a journal article or research paper unavailable in the library? (비구독 저널/논문 신청 방법)

If it is not available to download a journal article, it means the library doesn’t subscribe that journal. In this case, UNIST members can get the article by Making Request service.

How do I find journals available in UNIST? (저널/학술지 검색 및 이용)

Journals are available through the search window on main page of the library website.

On the ‘Journals’ menu, UNIST members can search a specific journal or browse featured journals by subjects. And it is also available to check full-text coverage and access the journal websites.

I’d like to search scholarly materials such as articles, conference proceedings and reports, etc. How do I search these materials in UNIST? (논문, 학술대회 발표자료, 학위논문)

There are good websites to search and access scholarly materials. We call them ‘databases’ which are listed on the library website Databases menu. It is available to browse and access databases by types or subjects.

How can I get a SciFinder account?

A chemistry database SciFinder is required to register and log-in. To create an account, please refer to information about SciFinder registration on the ‘Search & Browse > Databases’ menu.

How can I get a WIPS ON account? (특허)

A patent database WIPS ON is required to register and log-in. To create an account, please refer to information about WIPS ON registration on the ‘Search & Browse > Databases’ menu.

Can somebody else enter my data in myARTICLEs? (대리입력자 지정)

Yes, you can appoint assistant in myARTICLEs. Please go to [Configure Assistant Access] menu to set an assistant. Only UNIST members who have UNIST portal ID can be assistant.

How can I distinguish between article and conference paper? (눈문, 학술대회 실적 구분)

We use document type of Web of Science and SCOPUS. Please check document type from both of websites.

I'm not sure a journal I've published my article is SCI/SSCI. (SCI 저널 등재 여부)

We offer journal database in myARTICLEs, which includes SCI/SSCI/SCIE/AHCI information. You can use 'journal search' button while creating your article data. Or, you can check SCI/SSCI/SCIE/AHCI journal lists here.

Some of my achievement in myARTICLEs is not transmitted to KRI site. When it will be transmitted? (KRI 연동 시점)

Usually, the data in myARTICLEs is transmitted at night. Thus, sleep tight and then check the data in the morning.

What is the difference between 'latest' impact factor and 'pub-year' impact factor? (최근 IF 와 출판년 IF의 차이)

The 'latest' impact factor means the impact factor from latest version of JCR. The 'pub-year' impact factor means that the impact factor is according to the latest version of JCR in a year before the published year. For example, an article published in 2015's 'pub-year' impact factor will follow 2013 JCR, which is the latest version of 2014.

Why I should enter 'UNIST grant number'? (UNIST 과제번호 입력)

It is important to track the result of fundings. As long as the articles are the most important result of the fundings, we are trying to record the funding information.

Why some of my journal articles in myARTICLEs are not shown at the UNIST portal? (포털 및 ERP 연동)

We do not transmit your article 'in press'. If your missing article is currently 'in press', please wait until your article is officially published with volume/issue number and page numbers.

If an article is officially published but still not shown at the UNIST portal, please contact myARTICLEs manager.

How do I access electronic resources off campus? (전자정보원 교외접속, 프록시)

Using UNIST Portal ID and password through the library website, UNIST members can access electronic resources from anywhere. Please refer to 'Help & Guides > Off-Campus Access' menu.

What is the Institutional Repository? (기관 리포지터리란?)

Institutional Repository is digital collections of research outputs created within a university or research institution. Currently over 2,900 repositories around the world and 28 repositories in Korea. (July, 2015)

How to collect items in ScholarWorks? (ScholarWorks 연동)

All verified research papers in myARTICLEs are systematically linked to ScholarWorks. It includes both bibliography data and full-text.

ScholarWorks is free to access? (원문/전문의 공개 여부)

ScholarWorks is an open access repository, which means that the full-text of the work deposited here is freely accessible to the world via the web.

Some articles are not attached it's full-text. (원문/전문을 찾을 수 없는 경우)

ScholarWorks archive only licensed full-text by publisher. We Check the publisher’s archiving policies via SHERPA/ROMEO.

What is the benefit of ScholarWorks for users? (이용자 혜택)

• Free access to high-quality collections

• Reduce the costs of taking charge of academic information

What is the benefit of ScholarWorks for Researchers? (연구자 혜택)

• Broader dissemination & increased use

• Increase the citation times of papers

• Stability & long-term preservation

What is the benefit of ScholarWorks for Institution? (기관의 혜택)

• Opens up scholarly outputs of the university to the world

• Author citations from repository may affect university rankings