- Open Access is the free, immediate, online availability of research articles coupled with the rights to use these articles fully in the digital environment. Open Access ensures that anyone can access and use these results—to turn ideas into industries and breakthroughs into better lives. (https://sparcopen.org/open-access/)
- The literature that should be freely accessible online is that which scholars give to the world without expectation of payment. (Budapest Open Access Initiative, 2002)
- Green Open Access (Self-archiving)
Green OA is the practice of placing a version of an author’s manuscript into a repository, making it freely accessible for everyone. (UNIST Library's IR: 'ScholarWorks@UNIST')
- Gold Open Access (OA Article)
Gold OA makes the final version of an article freely and permanently accessible for everyone, immediately after publication. Gold OA articles can be published either in fully OA journals (where all the content is published OA) or hybrid journals (a subscription-based journal that offers an OA option which authors can chose if they wish). (http://www.springer.com/)
※ APC(Article Processing Charge): Article Processing Charge, also known as a publication fee, is a fee which is sometimes charged to authors to make a work available open access in either an open access journal or hybrid journal.
The UNIST Library provides support for UNIST authors publishing in open access journals. In this way, UNIST authors can get Article Processing Charge (APC) discounts as follows.
- BioMed Central OA Membership
• Type: Open Access Supporter Membership
• The UNIST Library is subscribing to the BioMed Central OA Supporter Membership that gives UNIST authors a 15% discount on article processing charge by BioMed Central and SpringerOopen.
• Period: ~ December 31, 2018.
• How to: If the author submit their manuscript from UNIST IP address, the membership discount will be automatically applied.
※ More Information: UNIST BMC OA Membership
※ BMC Journal List
- ACS AuthorChoice
• Type: Journal subscriber discount (All ACS Publications subscriber)
• Authors who are UNIST or ACS(American Chemical Society) members can get a discount to publish an open access article in ACS journals.
※ More Information: ACS AuthorChoice
- Science Advances
• Type: Journal subscriber discount (Science)
• Corresponding authors who are UNIST members can get a 15% discount to publish an article in Science Advances. (The discount is calculated after acceptance, not submission.)
• After the paper has been accepted, the corresponding author receives an email requesting payment and a link to the payment page. On the page, there is button called “Apply Discounts” that brings up the window below. The author must then search and select their institution from the list.
• Type: Journal subscriber discount (PNAS)
• Corresponding authors who are UNIST members can get a $350 discount on Open Access option surcharges(immediately free option) in PNAS(Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences).
• All articles are free online within 6 months of publication.
※ More Information: PNAS Publication Fee
• Type: Consortium Participating Institution
• SCOAP3(Sponsoring Consortium for Open Access Publishing in Particle Physics) is a global partnership which converts high-quality subscription journals in High Energy Physics to Open Access through redirection of existing subscription funds.
• As a member of SCOAP3 participating institution, UNIST authors may get APC waivers to publish articles in SCOAP3 journals.
※ To get APC waivers, article preprints must be deposited in High Energy Physics categories of arXiv (arXiv.org)
※ More Information: What is SCOAP3
※ SCOAP3 Journals
※ SCOAP3 Repository