- Open Access is the free, immediate, online availability of research articles coupled with the rights to use these articles fully in the digital environment. Open Access ensures that anyone can access and use these results—to turn ideas into industries and breakthroughs into better lives. (https://sparcopen.org/open-access/)
- The literature that should be freely accessible online is that which scholars give to the world without expectation of payment. (Budapest Open Access Initiative, 2002)
- Green Open Access(Self-archiving)
Green OA is the practice of placing a version of an author’s manuscript into a repository, making it freely accessible for everyone. (UNIST Library's IR: 'ScholarWorks@UNIST')
- Gold Open Access(OA Article)
Gold OA makes the final version of an article freely and permanently accessible for everyone, immediately after publication. Gold OA articles can be published either in fully OA journals (where all the content is published OA) or hybrid journals (a subscription-based journal that offers an OA option which authors can chose if they wish). (http://www.springer.com/)
※ APC(Article Processing Charge): Article Processing Charge, also known as a publication fee, is a fee which is sometimes charged to authors to make a work available open access in either an open access journal or hybrid journal.
The UNIST Library provides support for UNIST authors publishing in open access journals. In this way, UNIST authors can get Article Processing Charge (APC) discounts as follows in 2018.
- BioMed Central OA Membership
• Type: OA Membership
• The UNIST Library is subscribing to the BioMed Central Open Access Supporter Membership. So authors who are UNIST members can get a 15% discount on Article Processing Charges to publish articles in BioMed Central and SpringerOpen journals.
• Period: ~ December 31, 2018
• How to: If the author submit their manuscript from UNIST IP address, the membership discount will be automatically applied.
※ More Information: UNIST BMC OA Membership
※ Journal List: https://www.biomedcentral.com/journals
- ACS AuthorChoice
• Type: Journal subscriber discount (All ACS Publications subscriber)
• Authors who are UNIST members can get a discount on OA option surcharges to publish articles in ACS journals.
※ More Information: ACS Author Choice
- Science Advances
• Type: Journal subscriber discount (AAAS Journals includes Science)
• Corresponding authors who are UNIST members can get a 15% discount on APC to publish articles in Science Advances.
• How to: After the paper has been accepted, the corresponding author receives an email requesting payment and a link to the payment page. On the page, there is button called “Apply Discounts” that brings up the window below. The author must then search and select 'UNIST' from the list.
• Type: Journal subscriber discount (PNAS)
• Corresponding authors who are UNIST members can get a $350 discount on OA option(immediately free access) surcharges to publish articles in PNAS(Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences). All articles are free online within 6 months of publication.
※ More Information: PNAS Author Center
- SCOAP3 (Only for High-Energy physics)
• Type: SCOAP3 Consortium Participation
• The UNIST Library is participating in SCOAP3 consortium, an international partnership among libraries for open access publishing in high-energy physics. As a member of SCOAP3 participating institution, UNIST authors may get APC waivers to publish an article in 11 SCOAP3 journals.
※ To get APC waivers, article preprints must be deposited in one of the High Energy Physics(Experiment, Lattice, Phenomenology, Theory) categories of arXiv (arXiv.org)
※ What is SCOAP3(Sponsoring Consortium for Open Access Publishing in Particle Physics)?
※ SCOAP3 Journals